The Public Works Department is responsible for the snow removal from the city roadways during the winter. Our first priority is to clear main roadways and streets with significant hills. We then move onto residential areas. Our goal is to keep Berea moving. We request your help during snow and ice removal operations and ask that you follow these simple suggestions:
- Please limit travel during storms to trips that are necessary. Once roads have been plowed and salted, the potential for accidents is greatly reduced.
- Please park your vehicles in your driveways and off the road. If you must park on the street, try to park on one side of the street only. Parked cars hinder the speed and efficiency of our snow removal operation.
- Do not plow snow from your driveways and walk ways into the road. Please pile the snow in your yard. Remember, you are also responsible for your snow removal contractor’s actions.
- When snow plows are used during snow falls, the initial pass of the snow plow is made to open up the road for traffic flow. The following passes will push the snow to the curb line or road edge. This is necessary in order to allow for the drainage of melting snow into catch basins and to allow more space to plow future snow accumulations.
- To avoid salt hitting your vehicle while driving, move away from the center of the road when you see a salt truck approaching from the opposite direction. Salt trucks are designed to deposit more salt near the center of the road as the salt works its way to the road edge as traffic runs over it. Please try to stay back approximately 200 feet from the rear of a truck while it is deploying the material.
- To insure that your mailbox is not damaged during snow plowing operations, place your mailbox at least 42” above the ground and the front face of the mailbox door at least 10” from the front face of the curb or road edge.
- Remove your portable basketball hoop from the street and place it on your property. The Public Works Department is not responsible for damages to this equipment.
- When calling the Public Works Department, please keep messages simple and direct. Be certain to state your name, phone number, the problems you are calling about, and its location.
- Please keep sidewalks clear.