With the possibility of a significant ice storm for our service area BMU would like to offer a few tips to our electrical customers:
- As always, please stay away from any downed lines. If you see a downed power line,
please contact our utility office @ 859-986-4391 or the Madison County 911 Non-
Emergency: 859-624-4776 and we will send our personnel to evaluate the situation.
This includes the service lines to your home. Many of these lines have a protective
coating and can still be energized even though they are lying on the ground.
- One of the primary causes of major outages during winter weather is cars striking poles. If road conditions become hazardous, please avoid any unnecessary travel.
- Have a storm preparedness kit available:
- Bottled Water
- Non-perishable food items
- Emergency blankets
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Keeping refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible will prolong the time food will stay at a safe temperature. Once the refrigerator reaches temperatures higher than 40 degrees, foods can become unsafe to eat.
- To protect your homes electrical equipment, BMU suggests turning off and unplugging all unnecessary electronics and appliances. This will protect the equipment from being damaged by electrical surges or spikes when the power is restored.
- If you experience an outage, please contact our office @ 859-986-4391, and notify us of your street address. Once you place the call, we will have our emergency crews working on the problem as quickly as possible.
- If you receive damage to your meter base or weatherhead, you will need to contact an electrician as soon as possible in order for repairs to be made.
- Our crews are prepared for the possibility of extensive outages during this winter storm event, and we are communicating with other contractors to be on standby. If our system experiences a widespread outage event, we will have the manpower to ensure power is restored as quickly as possible.